THE BEGINNINGS OF KAWAII
No, no, you have no idea. It actually IS the beginning of the whole so-called “kawaii culture”. And it started because girls started using mechanical pencils, which provided fine handwriting. After being banished (more precisely, during the 80s), this kind of writing started being used in products like magazines and make-up. And, during this time, icons we usually associate with the whole kawaii industry (like the characters from Sanrio) came to life too.
And what many people don’t realize is that this subculture was born as a way for young girls to express themselves in their own way. And it was also used as something against the adult life and the traditional culture, often seen as dull and boring and oppressive. By embracing cuteness, these young girls (and adult women, after a while) were showing non-conformation with the current standards.
So yep. Kawaii is important, and it all started with cute, simple handwritting a few hearts and cat faces in some girls’ school notebooks <3
NO OK THIS IS SO IMPORTANT!
This is also how the kawaii fashions started! Girls began dressing in cute and off beat styles for themsleves, they were criticized by adult figures telling them “you’ll never find a husband if you dress that way!” to which they began to reply “Good!”
All the japanese subcultures and fashions that evolved out of this became a rebellion to tradition and the starch gender roles and expectations the adults were forcing on the younger generations. As early as the 70s and still to this day you’ll see an emphasis on child-like fashion and themes in more kawaii styles and the dismissal of the male gaze with styles like lolita (a lot of western people assume lolita is somehow sexual due to the name of the fashion, but ask any japanese lolita and they will tell you that men hate the style and find it unattractive which is sometimes a large reason they gravitate towards the style - they can express their femininity and individuality while remaining independent and without the pressure to appeal to men)
Its so so so important to understand the hyper cute and ‘odd’ fashions of Japanese girls carry such a huge message of feminism and reclaiming of their own lives.
so are you telling me that Japan’s punk phase was really the kawaii phase
that’s punk af dang
I’m most excited about Jason Momoa being Aquaman
My sexual orientation is everything about this picture. Srsly.
ALLLLL the pantysplash
"May cause sweating, peeing, and adequate hydration"
ITS A WATERBOTTLE
i really want the avengers and the guardians to meet so i made some dumb doodles
This needs many more likes then it’s getting. Saw this at Otakuthon and it deserves every award it’d won!
[VivifxAMV] Ship Happens [Best Comedy Otakon 2014]
It’s that time again! Thank you to all the new people who flooded in — I’m glad to be following you, and glad that you’re here!
- Like for one ticket, reblog for two.
- You don’t need to follow me, but followers get an extra ticket per like or reblog, for a maximum of five tickets per person.
- Also, followers will get extra prizes!
- You can reblog multiple times if you like, but please don’t use sideblogs to get more entries. That makes me sad.
- I will draw licensed characters, original characters, gijinka, and fancharacters.
- For licensed characters only, I have the condition that you must be willing to let me make merchandise out of the finished artwork.
- I will only draw one character per piece — no couples/groups.
- Nothing above a PG-13 rating, please.
- If, after the end of the giveaway, a winner does not claim their prize within 72 hours/3 days, they forfeit their prize, the next person in line gets to choose, and I’ll roll until all packages are gone. Exception: if you know you’ll be away for that time, let me know and I’ll give you more time. I just don’t want prizes to be stuck in limbo.
- Keep an eye on this post — things may change!
Okay, here’s how it’s gonna work. Instead of having places with set prizes, I’m offering packages. When I roll winners, each winner will choose their package in the order that they were rolled.
All followers get a bonus icon/portrait, minichibi, or Pokemon/animal added to their prize!
Package 1: 1x shaded chibi + 1x icon/minichibi/Pokemon/animal.
Package 2: 1x shaded chibi + 1x unshaded chibi.
Package 3: 2x minichibis.
Package 4: 1x unshaded chibi + 1x icon.
Package 5: 3x Pokemon/animals.
As always, the more notes this get/the more followers I have, the more prizes I’ll add!
I’m super forgetful today, I suppose. This’ll run, uh, let’s say a month? So until 10/15!